posted to rec.boats.building
YSTay YSTay is offline

Default Peel Ply.. Please Help

Sounds like a problem with the epoxy, not the glass. What you're using is
definitely not peel ply. What brand of epoxy were you using? Was it
formulated as a laminating epoxy rather than a "glueing" epoxy? Seems like
you did everything right. I can sort of understand if it didn't stick to
the substrate but it MUST have at least stuck to itself. Hmmmm....

Arnold

"Dan" wrote in message ...
What does peel ply look like? Does it look just like 6oz fiberglass cloth?
I laminated two layers of 6oz cloth to my cockpit sole using epoxy. I laid
the fiberglass down dry and lined it up nicely. Then I folded it back over
itself half way. Then I rolled unthickened epoxy over the sole surface and
the laid the fiberglass back over the epoxy and rolled that down with more
epoxy until it was clear. Then I did the other half the exact same way.
I used just enough epoxy to turn the cloth clear but no extra. Then I laid
a second layer of cloth on top of the first layer and rolled epoxy onto it
until it was clear. This is two feet wide by 6 feet long.
I waited until it was sticky like masking tape. I rolled unthickened epoxy
over the whole surface. I waited until that was sticky and rolled another
coat on it.
after the second coat was sticky, I rolled a 3rd coat on. It was smooth
and shiny. That was two weeks ago. The temperature in the shop was around
65 or so. I was sweating doing it so it wasn't very cold out. It was
raining outside, but this is in a building.
Today, I was picking at the corner of the glass with my pocket knife. I
was able to lift the corner of the fiberglass. I pushed my knife in
further and was able to lift a big piece of fiberglass. In just 15
minutes, I was able to rip all of the fiberglass off in big pieces. So I
wonder if this guy sold me peel ply instead of fiberglass. I can't believe
that it was a contaminated substrate because, the epoxy should have stuck
somewhere. This was too easy to get up. I pulled it up with my gloves on
and just yanked it up. I can also rip the two courses apart with ease.
What is going on here? What does peel ply look like? Could I have possibly
mistaken peel ply for fiberglass?