posted to rec.boats.building
DSK DSK is offline

Default Peel Ply.. Please Help

Dan wrote:
What does peel ply look like?

Depends on what kind. I've gotten two different kinds, one
rather coppery colored & stiff, looked like a performated
film more than like a woven cloth. Then I've also gotten
some stuff that looked like lightweight cloth with an almost
greasy-feeling finish on it, much more supple and good for
molding curves. This second type might be mistaken for
fiberglass cloth, I guess.

I laminated two layers of 6oz cloth to my cockpit sole using epoxy.

...(snip for brevity)... In just 15
minutes, I was able to rip all of the fiberglass off in big pieces. So I
wonder if this guy sold me peel ply instead of fiberglass. I can't
believe that it was a contaminated substrate because, the epoxy should
have stuck somewhere.

Not if it was a type of cloth with a binder or finish that
is incompatible with epoxy. Usually this is a problem with
matte, but it could be a problem with woven cloth too.

And it's possible that it's really peel ply. Personally, I'd
call up the supplier and tell him what you've told us. I'd
also ask for a refund, but then I'm not shy about such things.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King