KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Sailing fast and Loos

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
KLC Lewis wrote:
Doug, Essie takes serious exception to the slanderous allegation that she
was "poorly built." I told her that you really didn't mean it, but I
think it'll be a while before she forgives you.

OK, re-phrase that statement so as not to be pejorative.

However, there is really no reason for a fiberglass boat to have any
measurable flex in it's hull, other than rigidity (and the strength that
is a commensurate by-product) not being high on the list of builder's
priorities. For example, many years ago a buddy of mine & I went in shares
on a fancy racing boat, a 1-Tonner. Several years past it's prime, of
course, or we would not have been able to afford it.

This boat had been built to be driven *hard* under sail, and stiffness
means speed to a racing boat. The tuning guide said that at times, it was
possible and desirable to place a tension of 10,000 lbs on the backstay. I
spoke to the builder and asked if the boat would really take this, and he
laughed and said "Heck yes, when we trialed that boat, we put 20,000 on
the backstay and measured a little less than 1/4" deflection along the
deck."

In years before and since I've worked on and sailed a number of boats, and
have found some that flex more, some that flex very little or not at all.
Perhaps it's just idle prejudice on my part, but the ones that flex less
seem to me to be more desirable.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Well, there's flexing and there's flexing. Essie is built exceptionally
stout for a boat of her size, having been built back in '63 before
scantlings for fiberglass boats had been developed. In those days they
really didn't know how thick things like hulls should be, so they erred on
the side of, "I dunno, Frank. Better lay up another quarter inch or so."

But a boat on the hard is unlikely to be supported the same way as the water
holds her. Essie's cradle supports the keel (full) for a good portion of its
length, then there are two supports foreward and two aft (P&S) -- for a
total of four. Over the length of a winter, with the hull alternately
heating up and cooling off (there are times even in winter when the hull can
be hot to the touch during a particularly bright day, only to drop below 20
degrees f at night), this "support" cannot help but put some unusual
stresses into the boat. When launched again in the spring, it takes a while
for the boat to relax into the water.

Again, with Essie we're talking fractions of fractions, but it's still
noticable. And she is WAY stronger-built than she needs to be. The flexing
we are talking about isn't "oilcanning" from scantlings that push the lower
limit.