DSK DSK is offline

Default Sailing fast and Loos

KLC Lewis wrote:
Doug, Essie takes serious exception to the slanderous allegation that she
was "poorly built." I told her that you really didn't mean it, but I think
it'll be a while before she forgives you.

OK, re-phrase that statement so as not to be pejorative.

However, there is really no reason for a fiberglass boat to
have any measurable flex in it's hull, other than rigidity
(and the strength that is a commensurate by-product) not
being high on the list of builder's priorities. For example,
many years ago a buddy of mine & I went in shares on a fancy
racing boat, a 1-Tonner. Several years past it's prime, of
course, or we would not have been able to afford it.

This boat had been built to be driven *hard* under sail, and
stiffness means speed to a racing boat. The tuning guide
said that at times, it was possible and desirable to place a
tension of 10,000 lbs on the backstay. I spoke to the
builder and asked if the boat would really take this, and he
laughed and said "Heck yes, when we trialed that boat, we
put 20,000 on the backstay and measured a little less than
1/4" deflection along the deck."

In years before and since I've worked on and sailed a number
of boats, and have found some that flex more, some that flex
very little or not at all. Perhaps it's just idle prejudice
on my part, but the ones that flex less seem to me to be
more desirable.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King