posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Sloco & Doug: Dumb and Dumberer

So let's count the idiotic remarks from Sloco...and the somewhat quiet
support he's getting from Doug......as usual I back my statements with
pictures, lofts and actual measurement of the main. I don't have the
genny yet...so we'll wait for Sloco's jealous green dragon rant on that
next week!

And so....
Sloco states that the hoist is short on the Kevlar main for the 35s5.
His reason for this is that it's beneath the black stripe on the rig.
But who put that stripe there? Beneteau? Sloco's mommy? Is it right,
wrong or just the mark for a sail that died long ago with minimal
roach?

Here's a closer look at the 35s5 masthead. No stripe, folks!

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/mast1.jpg

No sign of a stripe ever having been there. The reason? Not all 35s5's
were ordered with sails and max hoist is listed in the data sheet.
Oh...and where's that second stripe you claimed was a mast extrusion,
Sloco? Hmmmm? Busted to 20th power! Anyway, my boat was shipped with
stock sails and I still have NO STRIPE.
Is the hoist really short? Hmmm. We get a P of 42.65 on the sail, which
is exactly right. So what about that black band on the other boat? Who
put it there? Sloco seems to trust the guy who taped it on like they
just had sex, but not lofts like UK or Doyle. He also doesn't trust his
eyes since I posted pics showing 35s5's with the same hoist....here
they are AGAIN!

http://home.att.net/~captnerdo/images/Footloos.gif
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/6/...?1160803964000
http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/images/35s5spin.jpg

Pic #2 shows the highest hoist and perhaps no roach at all. BTW, take a
look at Pic #3. Sloco somehow can't see the two stripes and claims one
is an extrusion that's absent from the 35s5 masthead shot. Uh oh! They
all seem to have a hoist that looks a bit short, but it's actually
correct and this is how they look on every 35s5 I've seen.

Now, if the loft is wrong, and the guy who ordered the sail is wrong
and Beneteau is wrong....uh, never mind! Let's move on to an even more
hilarious comment from Sloco and Doug.
These clowns suggest that I should have a roachy sail with max hoist
and let it foul the backstay!!!! Now, I'll admit I've seen this, but no
one I know looks for it when ordering a sail. In light air it can foul.
In fact it can even foul when raising the main! It wears the sail as
well. No one that I know has a sail overlapping the backstay.
But more importantly, Doug and Sloco can only flush their jealousy by
attacking the sail on very absolute terms. Could it have a higher
hoist? I think it can go up another few inched and still miss the
backstay. The loft says it's correct as is. The main and genny were not
made for all-out racing. The genny is cut higher and flat. It does not
sweep the deck as planned for the below deck furler. The main is also
flatter than a typical 35s5 cut. They were made to be fast and a bit
easier to handle for a short handed crew. Since I'm sailing with my
wife and a toddler, this will be a great combo. Nobody but a racing nut
is going to care about the exact hoist. The sail will work well, tack
smoothly and look great. Same for the genny. It's what we need for our
casual sailing, even if the exotic build and materials offend Sloco!
Okay...it's much more than we need I suppose. And all for thousands
less than Sloco would pay. Doug has no need for sails of course.

Good night....I'm off to a gallery party in Manhattan. Enjoy your TV
dinners.

RB
35s5
NY