posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron Capt.Mooron is offline

Default 35s5 and Dopey Sloco!

"DSK" wrote in message

Hmm, unless you sail in an area where that's an everyday occurence, I
would call your boat underpowered. Most of the places I sail, a boat would
have to be well powered up in 5 ~ 8 knots of wind. That means changing
down and/or reefing as the wind climbs thru the teens.

Ahem... you'd be in a constant state of reef around here if that's what you
are accustomed to. Sounds rather tender and finicky. 20-25 kts wind here is
pretty normal. You don't make much headway when sailing into a seaway in any
wind below 10kts. The swells alone can be 30 feet high. I don't do much
playing with thermals and lifts... wind here just appears from a direction
and you use it to get where you want. It's usually steady but can be gusty.
My boat makes good in sea conditions and provides a dry, solid feel with
sufficient balance to accommodate the wind and wave states.

I have found that I can achieve higher sustained speeds in ocean conditions
than in coastal/harbour areas. Nonetheless... I have a solid sailboat that
has never failed to impress me and has delivered it's various crews to the
destination in comfort, safely and in good time.

One can't ask for more....