posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron Capt.Mooron is offline

Default 35s5 and Dopey Sloco!

"DSK" wrote in message

I thought your boat was a mast head rigged cutter. Anyway plenty of boats
have the same characteristics, power from the headsail.

masthead sloop...

Many full-batten boats have to give the boom a quick pump to get the sail
re-cambered to the new side when they tack. Again, not really a problem.

I have never been required to do that... then again most novices overtighten
their battens.

It doesn't really slow you donw tacking, you just have to remember to do
it. In fact it gives you more speed coming out of the tack and forcing
camber into the sail makes it more powerful.

I can't understand the value in having to pump the boom to snap a batten to
the opposite camber.... when merely having it happen, smoothly , on it's
own, within a normal sweep of the boom would be any slower.

How much sail area do you want? More roach is one way to get more.

I want a suit of canvas that my vessel will comfortably carry. They needn't
be woven from pixie dust and quantum filaments.

I can carry a 160% deck sweeper of a gen and full main in up to 22 kts of
wind. At 45 + kts I can deploy the storm jib and drop 3 reefs in the main to
make ground to winward with minimal heel and max progress. I have a reefable
120 and a 100.

CM-