posted to rec.boats.electronics
Matt Colie Matt Colie is offline

Default Overspeed alarm based on alternator frequency

Colin,

Don't sweat the overspeed.

Unfortunately, this engine is too new for my catalogues, but I and quite
sure that it is using a Hitachi copy of a Bosch TE injection pump. This
pump includes a controlling governor that not only controls the engine
to produce the ordered crankshaft speed but also limits the speed to a
safe maximum. The only way to exceed that speed is by introducing
additional fuel (often that is injested lube oil) and it that occurs
there is often little the operator can do without getting too close to
the engine.

I was glad to see that you are running double belts because that is just
about and maybe a little bit over the capability of a single belt.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner (Diesel Chief...)

CS wrote:
Engine is a Daewoo L136 and the original alternator, 50A 5000 rpm max
continuous, was replaced by a Leece Neville unit, 110A 8000 rpm max
cont . To get more amps from the alternator, I reduced the pulley so
8000 alt rpm is now achieved at just over 2300 engine rpm - engien
normal max is 2200 rpm. The engine is beneath my feet in a luxemotor
barge - so I think the oversped is somewhat superfluous.