Chuck Gould Chuck Gould is offline

Default Unlubberizing the Single Screw Inboard, Part II

Eisboch wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

otnmbrd wrote:

Good article...... naturally I don't agree 100% with everything but the
only item really worth mentioning is that on 999 out of 1,000 boats I
never waste time shifting the rudder in the above maneuver as you will
never (if properly done) have enough sternway to have rudder effect.

otn

I tend to agree with you, and I don't move the rudder on my own boat.
Several sources I consulted when researching for this article mention
moving the rudder, so that might be considered the "textbook" version
of backing and filling. It certainly won't hurt to move the rudder, and
it could be useful to do so if wind or current creates a situation when
some extended sternway is required to regain the position where the
manuever began.
But I would in general agree with you.

Glad the rest of the item generally passed muster. :-)

I watched in amazement while a very experienced guy backed a 55 foot
sailboat into the slip beside me. I was on the forward deck of my boat,
ready to assist and watched carefully how he set up as he passed my boat and
I took note of his rudder position which was very obvious being so large.
He made a sharp turn to starboard as he passed my bow with the rudder full
over. After the boat settled from the turn (in neutral) , he put it in
reverse and started backing straight towards my port bow .... his rudder
still full over from the previous starboard turn.

Again, he went to neutral, settled the boat (still coming at my bow) then
popped it into forward. The rudder, still being full over, caused his bow
to swing hard again to starboard .... perfectly lined up parallel and
forward of the finger slip. Threw it in reverse for a couple of seconds and
he was done. The boat gently glided into the slip, a foot or so from the
finger. It really was an impressive display of boat handling (most
blowboaters come in bow first) and I told him how impressed I was. He
laughed and told me that he has been doing it for years. He then nodded at
my boat and said, "Those things with the twin engines and rudders are the
ones that confuse me".

Eisboch

That very experienced guy may find himself stuck in that slip depending
upon winds or currents when he departs. Assuming he has boats, docks,
or floats to either side He's got to get 55 feet out into the fairway
before he can do much except go straight ahead.

Sailboats with a deep keel will tend to pivot around the keel, usually
more toward the middle of the boat than the common "1/3 of the way aft
general location" of a single screw powerboat. They are in general more
maneuverable. Also, many sailboats carry a lot less prop than an
equivalent size powerboat would, so there can be less prop walk. And
some of the "folding props" that sailors use to minimize drag when
under sail are almost useless in reverse....(you have to start putting
the brakes on really early)