Chuck Gould Chuck Gould is offline

Default Unlubberizing the Single Screw Inboard, Part II

otnmbrd wrote:

Good article...... naturally I don't agree 100% with everything but the
only item really worth mentioning is that on 999 out of 1,000 boats I
never waste time shifting the rudder in the above maneuver as you will
never (if properly done) have enough sternway to have rudder effect.

otn

I tend to agree with you, and I don't move the rudder on my own boat.
Several sources I consulted when researching for this article mention
moving the rudder, so that might be considered the "textbook" version
of backing and filling. It certainly won't hurt to move the rudder, and
it could be useful to do so if wind or current creates a situation when
some extended sternway is required to regain the position where the
manuever began.
But I would in general agree with you.

Glad the rest of the item generally passed muster. :-)