Reginald P. Smithers III Reginald P. Smithers III is offline

Default Global warming and hurricanes...

Alotta Fagina wrote:
You wrote:

Alotta Fagina wrote:
You wrote:

Anyway, it's a picture of the East Coast taken at night - it's like
one mass of light - amazing image.

I'll find it and scan it.
http://www.darksky.org/images/satelite/usa_1996-97.gif
That's not a picture.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...ghts1994-1995b
.j

pg
Neither is that.

How are they NOT pictures????

They're not photographs - they're generated outputs of some sort of
undefined measurement. Without at a minimum knowing precisely what was
being measured, they're no more "pictures" than are Rorschach inkblots.

Just curious - would you consider an MRI a "picture"? How about an
X-Ray? Or an oscilloscope display? Most normal people wouldn't, even
knowing what it is those devices measure and what their outputs
represent.

Alota,
I would consider all of those items "pictures". I would also consider a
painting a "picture". Without additional info, it would be hard to tell
which ones would be considered photographs. The dictionary would also
consider all of those items to be "pictures". For some reason you think
picture and photograph are the same. They are not.

pic?ture /?p?kt??r/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pik-cher] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -tured, -tur?ing.

–noun 1. a visual representation of a person, object, or scene, as a painting, drawing, photograph, etc.: I carry a picture of my grandchild in my wallet.
2. any visible image, however produced: pictures reflected in a pool of water.
3. a mental image: a clear picture of how he had looked that day.
4. a particular image or reality as portrayed in an account or description; depiction; version.
5. a tableau, as in theatrical representation.
6. motion picture.
7. pictures, Informal (older use). movies.
8. a person, thing, group, or scene regarded as resembling a work of pictorial art in beauty, fineness of appearance, etc.: She was a picture in her new blue dress.
9. the image or perfect likeness of someone else: He is the picture of his father.
10. a visible or concrete embodiment of some quality or condition: the picture of health.
11. a situation or set of circumstances: the economic picture.
12. the image on a computer monitor, the viewing screen of a television set, or a motion-picture screen.
–verb (used with object) 13. to represent in a picture or pictorially, as by painting or drawing.
14. to form a mental picture of; imagine: He couldn't picture himself doing such a thing.
15. to depict in words; describe graphically: He pictured Rome so vividly that you half-believed you were there.
16. to present or create as a setting; portray: His book pictured the world of the future