Jim

Default OT--Wal-Mart Posts $2.44B in 2Q Earnings

"JohnH" wrote in message
On 14 Aug 2003 14:37:58 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

One retail theory is that when the economy is lousy, EVERYONE shops downward
one level. So, even if you prefer Lands' End t-shirts, you may settle for
Fruit of the Loom, or whatever WM sells.

It's the Puritan Work Ethic/ Depression mentality of our ancestors at work.
Most Americans feel compelled to seek out the lowest price. Buying from a more
socially responsible company that treats its employees fairly and isn't
contributing to the great suburban homogenization of America sounds like a
great idea......that somebody else should look into. We're all too busy saving
$15 on a color TV to give a
dang, personally.

Are y'all trying to tell me that the 'rich' are taking all their tax savings and
shopping at Wal-Mart? Is this really what you're trying to get us dumb neo-cons
to believe?

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

Old Chuck is just mad because the economy is showing signs of improvement, certainly
not what the libs want to see as the Presidential race is starting to heat up.

Being a proclaimed lib Old Chuck is also pro union and dreads good news coming from a
non union organization, especially one that has driven many union grocery stores under.

So Old Chuck will grasp at straws in trying to spin this positive story into a
negative.