[email protected] jaykchan@hotmail.com is offline

Default Start Motor and Only Hear Tick-Tick-Tick...

Ernest Scribbler wrote:
wrote
I try to start it today, and all I hear is tick,tick,tick...

When my boat had the tick, tick, tick, it turned out to be corroded contacts
in the starter solenoid. Mine's an I/O, but your outboard probably has some
sort of equivalent part in its starting system. (The solenoid is a
electromagnetically operated switch that closes some big contacts to apply
power to the starter motor when you close the little contacts in your
starting switch.)

I just hope that the problem is limited to the contact of the batteries
and is not the contact of the starter solenoid. If cleaning the
contact of the batteries doesn't fix the problem, I will need to try
your tip.

I am baby-sitting my kids; therefore, I cannot work on my boat now. I
cannot wait to pull the batteries out, clean them really good, and try
starting the motor again.

Jay Chan