[email protected] jaykchan@hotmail.com is offline

Default Start Motor and Only Hear Tick-Tick-Tick...

I hope this is just the contact of the batteries. Sound like I will
need to get into the habbit of removing the batteries from the boat for
winterizing and clean the contact really good.

What's the significant of "OB in gear turn over using prop"? Is that
trying to determine if any one of the pistons is stuck or not?

Jay Chan

Butch Davis wrote:
Jay,

With OB in gear turn over using prop. Charge batteries and try to crank.
Sounds like batteries to me or perhaps more likely a high resistance
connection somewhere in the starting circuit.

Butch
wrote in message
oups.com...
After leaving the outboard motor sitting for one year, I try to start
it today, and all I hear is tick,tick,tick... (and this is not the
sound of pistons moving around). What has gone wrong?

It is a 1995 Mercury 115hp 2-stroke outboard motor. Last winter, I
winterized it by running it on treated fuel for five minutes, spraying
fogging oil into the sprark plug holes (then working the pistons), and
then leaving a full tank of treated fuel in the fuel tank. The fuel is
still good because I have used all of them in my car for the last month
without any problem. Therefore, I know the fuel is not the problem.

I have followed the instruction in the boatowner manual to start the
motor (put the motor upright, put the lower unit in a bucket of water,
turn on the battery switch, check the kill switch, hand squeeze the
fuel pump ball to hard, hold down the throttle button, turn the
throttle-lever up all the way and then move it back to 1/4 throttle,
turn the power switch and hold it down to start), and I have tried this
for a couple times in two days. All I heard was tick,tick,tick...

Does this have something to do with leaving the motor unused for one
full year?

Does this have something to do with the fact that I didn't spray
fogging oil into the carburetor in last winter? At that time, I didn't
know that the carburetor air inlets are hidden behind the air-silencer;
therefore, I didn't know where to spray.

Does this have something to do with the possibility that the batteries
may not be good enough to work the starter? When I checked the voltage
of the battery right before trying to start the motor, the voltage
looked OK to me (13.24 volt). I stress-tested the batteries last
winter and I found them to be OK (admittedly I am not very good in
doing this). I left them in the boat outdoor through out the winter;
but I re-charged the batteries periodically and checked their voltage
periodically during the winter.

What can cause this problem?

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestion.

Jay Chan