posted to rec.boats.building
Peter Hendra Peter Hendra is offline

Default Folding dinghy

On 6 Oct 2006 09:10:42 -0700, "pwiggins" wrote:

Ah... the good old days... standing in a small boat in the middle of
winter with no life vest...

Sam wrote:
John Seager wrote:
I know there are dozens of folding dinghy designs around but few look much
like a real boat. Any advice welcome.
John.

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=RowBoats/HandyAndy

I just received the Portabote folding boat brochure and prices by snailmail. The
brochure and referees seem to present it in situations whereby it is used only
in relatively calm inland or protected waters.

I am considering using it as a yacht tender where sometimes you are forced to
use it in rough conditions. The inflatable we had for 10 years died of old age
and I am currently using the excellent Swanson (Australian made) break-apart GRP
9 foot nesting dinghy which is easy for two to assemble, move about on deck and
launch. However, it is a different story single handed. It is however an
excellent rowboat.

A plus for the Portabote is that it apparently requires less HP to drive it
than does an equivalent sized inflatable and consequently makes transfering the
outboard from yacht to dinghy easier. Currently I can easily handle the 3.3HP
Mercury. I would probably have to install some type of jib crane for a larger
motor.

Question: Can anyone please advise of any experience of Portabotes as yacht
tenders for a cruising yacht in unprotected ocean anchorages?

As an alternative, I am considering purchasing a new hyperlon inflatable in
Florida on my way back to my yacht on the hard in Trinidad. I googled but was
not very successful. Any suggestions please?

Any help greatly appreciated.

cheers
Peter Hendra
N.Z. yacht Herodotus