posted to rec.boats.paddle
Cyli Cyli is offline

Default Another Beginner seeking advice...

On 6 Oct 2006 10:29:58 -0700, wrote:

My budget is pretty low. I have to keep it under $500 for a
recreational kayak, paddle, and life vest. I would love to hear some
recommendations. I live in northern indiana so I'm not planning on any
white water.

I've only been able to rent kayaks and finding them to buy has been
very difficult in my area, especially used kayaks.

The only thing I've been able to find in my range is a Otter Super
Sport at Dick's Sporting Goods. Is this a waste of my money?

I've never heard of an Otter Super Sport and can't find any on
Googling, but I have a regular Otter and it's great. I've had it
since the late 80's some time. I don't take good care of my stuff and
it's still in fine shape, with just some scratches showing. They're
cheap. They're sturdy. They're pretty comfortable.

Now I'd not recommend them for white water. I believe that mine
claimed to be good for up through Class II water, but I prefer not to
do Class II any more, so I have no idea.

I know I've scraped over shallow rocks with it, dragged it to and from
my vehicle over pebbles, turned it over and used it to sit on (ends
only, center is too mushy from outside) when overnighting. I can get
camping stuff for at least 3 days / nights in / on it.

If you have a long bed truck, it'll fit right in there. Maybe have to
be on a diagonal, but it'll fit.

Ask around at places that have kayaks (other than Dick's, unless yours
is an exception and the sales force there is both knowledgeable and
helpful). Try to find kayak or canoe clubs in the area. Put up
requests on any bulleting boards at local colleges and universities
and grocery stores and read the stuff that's already up on them. Talk
to a lot of people locally. You might luck out the way one woman did
when I moved and had to get rid of a 17 foot hand made cedar canoe. I
walked into one of my bosses' offices and asked if he wanted it or
knew anyone who did, as he lived almost on the St. Croix river. He
knew someone. I got rid of the canoe, she got a freebie.

The Otter is a great little boat for any kind of recreational
paddling. Fun. I think mine cost only $225 and I don't believe the
price has gone out of sight in the intervening years. Lots of initial
stability, pretty good secondary stability. Dunno how it rolls.
Possibly like a hippo, as it's a bit wide, but in flat water, if
you've got to roll, well........
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli