posted to rec.boats.building
ray lunder ray lunder is offline

Default Black spots

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:17:09 -0700, "Gordon"
wrote:

I have some old varnished wood I want to strip down and reuse. This wood
has black areas around the old screw holes. How do I get rid of the black
w/o sanding away all the wood?
Thanks
Gordon

Life is often a matter of compromise. You have to sand quite a bit
anyway if you are refinishing wood that's really on it's last legs. I
strip with Citristrip, power sand with coarse grit down to the pink,
then smooth and give two doses of Daly's AB, sometimes spot dosing the
dark spots again. Then it's a light sand and start varnishing.
I tried staining on a piece with embedded rust/rot/whatever from
around bronze screws which had broken off but it didn't come out as
well as I had hoped even though the holes were no longer noticeable.
It all takes a long time and needs fairly high, consistent
temperatures. The good news is it's worth it.