Derek

Default 1986 Johnson 70 Overheating

On 2 May 2004 09:03:36 -0700, (Eldon Cutlip)
wrote:

I took the thermostat out of the "hot" one and then ran it on the
"ears." The engine stayed dead cold for as long as I ran it (probably
a few minutes). But the pee hole just dribbled a drop or so every few
seconds - no stream. Then I put the thermostat back in and it had a
good stream at the pee hole but the engine started heating up again.
Should I still get a good stream even with the thermostat out - if the
water pump is good? I know the powerhead was getting water because it
stayed dead cold and I saw water when I pulled the thermostat cover.

Thanks,
Eldon

Snip.

Why not remove the thermostat out of the good engine, and see if it
follows the same pattern?

Also, try switching the themostats. It's possible the new one could be
faulty, and double check that it's inserted the correct way (I'm not
familiar with that type).

If the bad motor still runs hot, maybe the impeller is worn & can only
move a small volume of water through the pee hole. Once the thermo
opens and a larger volume is required, it can't handle it. (like
squirting a jet of water with a water pistol, 20 feet with you index
finger is easy, but try and do that same distance with a garden hose
and you'll need to use your foot).

Cheers.