posted to alt.sailing.asa
Martin Baxter Martin Baxter is offline

Default Heart of Gold clip to windward

"Capt. Rob" wrote:
I said
we were making 6 knots VMG to windward and you wrongly assumed that
this meant we were beating. Can the 35s5 make 6 knots of VMG to
windward, which is ANY POS above a beam reach. How about 45%? Hmmmmjm?
Better have another look at the video and try to look at the trim of
the sails.

Bob, would kindly go out on the street and see if you find someone with
a big stick to beat you soundly about the head? Perhaps then you will
be able to grasp the concept that "VMG to windward" is the vector
component of your vessels velocity that points directly upwind of your
vessel. It is not a point of sail. It reaches a maximum somewhere around
hard on the wind for most boats. As you fall of, your speed will
increase, but the rate at which your boat is moving to windward becomes
less and less until you reach a broad reach, when the wind is on your
beam and leeway is causing your boat to move downwind, at that point,
even though your boat may be doing 10 knots, your "VMG to windward"
becomes negative. Hope that's clear.

Where's Jax when you need him?

Cheers
Marty