posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Heart of Gold clip to windward

Actually, I have some doubt about your reading of the polar, since the
faster 36.5 doesn't do that well, and the wing keel should cost you a
few tenths. In fact, even the 407 is only slightly better. But I'll
accept the 5.2 for the moment.

Okay.

Totally irrelevant. You might have something if he had a hand picked

crew, new hi-tech sails, a fresh bottom job, and you lost the A/C.

Well, now we're getting somewhere. My boat has the AC, but she's
currently stripped out for the end of season cleaning. No water in the
tanks, gear and even the anchor removed. My bottom is clean and my
tired sails are less of a factor when I'm not hard on the wind.

But boats don't suddenly gain 15% over their optimal VMG to windward

just because a competent hand is on the wheel.

Calling this fellow competent is like saying O.J. Simpson needed a
little therapy. He's a fairly top notch sailor and very respected in
this area.

Yes, it is. You just don't get it. Its like Road & Track said a

certain car did the quarter in 5 seconds, and you claimed you did it
in 4 seconds. In the snow.

Not at all. And Road and Track has gotten a second more/less on cars
compared to other rags. Such tests, along with Polars are rough
estimates at best. For example, my friend "claims" that he clobbers the
published polars of the J30.

This is another point you fail to grasp. While some boats can
frequently exceed their "theoretical limit" off the wind, upwind it is
much more difficult to beat.

I grasp that, but your whole argument still hinges on polars made up
when the boat was first designed and tested...more than 18 years ago.
Optimal trim and sails were yet to be found. In fact, previous owner of
2 35s5's and Heart of Gold, Arthur Rodriguez said that Beneteau had the
35s5 main all wrong and recut it for better upwind performance. Mark P,
at Doyle is looking at the cut of my main next week on this very issue.

Further, upwind performance to not vary very much between boats of the
same style. Boats simply don't suddenly go 15% faster than predicted.
In PHRF terms, this is like suddenly going 100 points faster than
then rating.

That's an exageration. The 35s5 will stay with newer 1st boats upwind
as reported by owners. Her weakness is in the downward leg. Even the
deep keel does poorly dead downwind.

The other day you said any
Benny First would "smoke" an Ericson 35-3, when in fact your boat only
has a couple of points on the Erikson. So when it suits you, 2 points
is huge advantage, but now you're claiming that a proper rating for
your boat should be around 30.

It's funny how you lie again and again and nobody calls you on it. But
I will. I NEVER said my boat would "smoke" a E35 Mk3. I said 1st series
Beneteau's are faster boats and that the E35 would have a hard time
sailing around even a slow cruising Beneteau. You'd need a Mumm 30 for
that! But Bart's silly post went unchallenged until I pointed out how
dumb it was.

Yes, I remember when a friend who was the local Star champion came
on
my Nonsuch and started playing with the sail twist. He made the boat
perform close to the polars, not exceed them by 15%.

Do you REALLY think this is a valid comparison? Your comparing a
Nonsuch with a 1st 35s5 with a far more tunable and variable rig. If he
only came close to the polars, then he must know have known how to sail
your boat.

He probably told the truth. You, being a simpleton, misunderstood.
He told you the VMG to a mark 10 degrees off the bow, that is not the
VMG to Windward.

Actually, when I asked him our speed, he clearly said 6 knots. I then
asked what the VMG was and he repeated six knots and that our speed was
showing over seven. He was impressed and so was I. The mark WAS to
windward at this time. But again, and I'll state it again because you
can't seem to accept it...we were NOT beating. The video clearly shows
this as we are not sheeted for close hauled sailing.

His GPS does NOT report the VMG to Windward. This is the issue
here.
In order for the GPS to do that, the mark has to be directly to
windward, preferably far away.

Sigh.

You told us it was nearby, off the bow.

I gave that as an example for the 3rd clip, not the second. Can't you
keep track of 3 short videos? The mark to windward was a bouy on the
second clip/

Everyone always assumes that everything you say is a lie.

Yup...I lied about buying a 35s5, about sailing it 3-4 times a week,
about pretty girls aboard, about shackles on the dock, even about
selling boats and doing sea trials. And yet each was backed with pics
and even video which drove people like you out of your skull. Even when
I said Bob L. trimmed the main a few minutes later...BAM, you get a
pic. You all tell stories. Big fish tales. I have documentation of my
modest sails. I fish for you all here, but you should see the e-mails I
get. Most people who come in here think the rest of you don't even have
boats!

I'd rather you took a course on basic sailing so we wouldn't have to

explain the simple concepts to you over and over again,

You think they'd teach me that a close reach isn't to windward? That
WAS your claim before you backpedalled like Lance Armstrong from a
testicle biopsy.
Jeff, you really need Gilligan's help on this.

RB
35s5
NY