posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jim K. Jim K. is offline

Default suggestions for a stove?

katy wrote:

Because posts don't instantaneously appear in order...I didn't read
Doug's reply until after I had answered yours...not used to USENET yet huh?

Unfortunately, way too familiar with usenet - and the evil trolls that
occupy it.

I don't think propane stoves are safe. We have one on our boat. We
made it inoperable.

I would think so too but not familiar with the sailing world so thought
I'd offer another solution - I now understand that I was wrong and
propane and gas stoves are not a good idea. What do you use then?

You're going to "shoot" up and down the coast in a vessel that at best
will go 7 knots?

What's the rush? Are you an uneasy person who always feels the need to
move - you got a shaky leg? And I already did the math - 1182 miles
from Philly to Fort Lauderdale at 7 knots is ~ 170 hrs - that's 7 days
of 24 hr sailing - which isn't possible - that's 14 days of sailing 12
hrs a day - which I doubt think would be enjoyable if it is possible to
sail solo for that many hrs a day - or 28 days of sailing 6 hrs a day
which I'm sure is doable. And since the whole idea is to "shoot"
(that's a photographer's term for taking a picture - you don't need to
put in quotation marks) everywhere to get marketable shots - what's the
problem with taking my time and slowly making my way along the coast.

Soooooooo - 28 days - that's 4 weeks - stop every few days to
photograph local parks, bays, wildlife, etc. If you ask me - that's the
way to do it - take your time - so with occsaional stops to photograph
- let's turn that into 56 days - less than 2 months could always start
a cruise up to Philly or - further north - in late may - start my
return inearly September - and if it's a little cold in late May or
Early Sept - suck it up - I've camped in weather as cold as 24 degrees
and it wasn't a challenge.

Why don't you just learn to sail first

Already working on it - my goal is to make this happen in 4 years -
earlier if possible - but that will give me enough time to learn to
sail (Phila Sailing Club), save money for the boat, and to establish my
photo biz.

then you can see if it will work or
not....living aboard can be fun...

I'll make it work and nothing will stop me - I'm not the only person
who wants to live aboard - I'm not the only freelance photographer in
the world. And why do you alternate between saying something nice and
something not nice. Haven't you learned that you should write how you
would speak in person? With manners and respect?

you've ever had...get experience with boats first and then make your
decisions.

Come on - who would be stupid enough to live aboard in a sail boat
without learning to sail first? Like I said - at least 4 years from now
- and if it takes 10 years - so be it.

And grow some callous.

Aren't you the little sweetie! And BTW - that doesn't make any sense -
do you mean callusses? I forsee that we won't become friends unless you
change - too bad - never understand why some people prefer to attack
rather than saying, "Hello, welcome aboard"?

Jim