posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default suggestions for a stove?

Propane is safe if you take the proper precautions.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"katy" wrote in message
Jim K. wrote:
katy wrote:

I think you're a trifle naive about all of this. 1. PITA is pain in
the arse

Excuse me but I do not know EVERY single internet anocronym - and I
already saw the response - why repeat it?

Because posts don't instantaneously appear in order...I didn't read Doug's
reply until after I had answered yours...not used to USENET yet huh?

2. cooking with a Coleman stove (and I am very familiar with
them from years of camping) on a boat is a recipe for disaster

I am new to this - sorry I didn't mention that, but the one guy
mentioned using a propane stove - how can that be okay but a coleman
stove is not?

I don't think propane stoves are safe. We have one on our boat. We made
it inoperable.

3. Unless
you're going to spend a predominant amount or time (and I thought you
mentioned locations like Baltimore, etc) in southern Florida, you are
going to need some kind of heating system, whether it be electric on the
dock or Orrigo alcohol.

I live in Philadelphia - believe - you do not need any heating in the
Summertime. I won't be in one place and never move - I'll be moving all
the time.

Nights in the south do get cold...and out on
the water it is not just cold but cold and wet..much more bone chilling.
So if you're planning to do business in the mid-Atlantic states, how
does traveling back and forth between the south of Florida and that
work?

Can't believe you don't know that answere - move south as it gets cold

As far as personal transportation goes, a folding bike would be
best in your situation. You will have to rely on public transportation,
where there is that feature. Otherwise, you woll be stuck. You will
need at least a 30 foot boat for your adventure. You're talking about a
lot of stuff...camera equipment, etc and will need storage space.

Most fits into my photo backpack - that's not a lot of room.

You
will also need to make provisions that none of your equipment is
affected by hunidity and salt.

True.

From my personal experience, people who
set up goals like yours do well living aboard, but they very rarely
sail. Might as well get a houseboat...you could still go south, have
more room, be on the water. And if you wanted to sail, get a sailing
dinghy to pull behind.

I wouls sail for one reason - to shhot up and down the East Coast and
to attend Art Festivals up and down the coast.

You're going to "shoot" up and down the coast in a vessel that at best
will go 7 knots? Why don't you just learn to sail first and live in a
mobile camper thingie...then you can see if it will work or not....living
aboard can be fun...or it can be the worst nightmare you've ever had...get
experience with boats first and then make your decisions. And grow some
callous.