posted to alt.sailing
Rich Schultz Rich Schultz is offline

Default Wind Generators

I didn't "pick" it. The original came with the boat. My mistake was when
it became necessary to replace it, I believed them when they said the new
models were much quieter. Believe it, when I come up with extra bucks I'll
look into a new, different model.

As to a dual location, you would be the first. Although I have seen a
catamaran with a wind generator on each quarter. I'd stick with the pole
aft, or on a radar arch or the mizzen if you have one. One consideration is
to keep the run from the generator to the batteries as short as reasonably
possible to cut down line loss. If you feel it is too much noise aft,
consider. If you are on board you most likely will be running the genset to
supply all that power. It's only when away from the boat that the wind
generator would be used to keep things topped off.

Rich
CR38 "Drifter"
Tarpon Springs, FL
"ripple" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Rich
I'm curious why you picked AirX in the first place....reliabilty,
service, output...what??
I have virtually ruled out AirX because of the noise. When I'm on my
mooring the sound of Air X's is everywhere and a walk through any of
the yards here pretty much proves that Air X is louder than AeroGen or
KISS. I have to believe that any hard mount will transmit much of
that noise into the deck. They (AirX, AeroGen, Kiss) seem to be the
most common here, among locals and transients alike and I'm guessing
that it is because they are relatively inexpensive. AeroGen (4 or 6)
and KISS owners seem fairly happy with the noise level but I talked
with a KISS ownwer who's regulator failed and he boiled a pair of 8-D's
into oblivion. I'm more interested in low noise, reliability, and
output... and in that order. I have 4- 8D house batteries, 2
4D's...one main engine start and one for the windless, and a group 27
for starting the generator. I also have enough loads that, short of
turning the foredeck into a windmill farm, a single generator will
probably not be able to keep up with demand when the boat is occupied.
I think any of them will produce enough power to keep the bilge pumps
running and the batteries topped off when the boat is unoccupied. My
master cabin is aft and runs all the way to the stern so a question to
the experienced would be: How hard would it be to have a temporary pole
mount and electrical connection on the foredeck so that the generator
could be mounted forward when the boat is on the mooring and easily
mounted aft when sailing. It would have to be something that you could
do in less than five minutes. It seems simple ... but I know that
..that which looks very simple is often not so any of you who have
owned a generator are welcome to point out the problems that may be
involved in such a setup.

"Whistler"

Rich Schultz wrote:
With regards to the Air Marine you are quite correct. I lost my

original
one in a hurricane (at the dock) and when I went to replace it I was

told
that the Air Marine X was much quieter. Total BS. In heavy weather I

turn
it off before the noise starts to make me think conditions are worse

than
they are!! At this point, if I ever get a few bucks ahead I'll replace

it
and take the loss. As to what I'll replace with.... I don't know.

The choice depends, to a large degree, on where you are going to be

needing
it. Some are better in light air than others and vice versa.

Rich Schultz
CR38 "Drifter"
Tarpon Springs FL

"Barry Gordon" wrote in message
On 25 Sep 2006 06:35:53 -0700, "ripple" wrote:

I'm interested in hearing comments on any currently available wind or
water powered generators, as well. I'm looking for very low noise

and
vibration and I would be very interested to hear from someone

familiar
with any of the DuoGen generators.