posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default suggestions for a stove?

We cruised in company with friends with these. Kind of a
PITA when you all you want is a cup of hot coffee in the
morning, isn't it? And it does nothing to warm up the inside
of the boat.

Jim K. wrote:
Not familiar with "PITA"

Acronym for "pain in the neck."

... but why would you only use it for coffee -
isn't the purpose of a stove to cook your meals?

Not *only* for cuffee, but for the early morning ritual of
making a cup of coffee, it is slow & cumbersome. Our friends
had to start out by getting a sponge and drying the dew off
the deck & cockpit. I took pity on them and offered coffee
from our pot

One of the luxuries of small boat cruising is that you can
start the stove in the morning and get coffee without having
to get out of your bunk & sleeping bag.

.... And I wouldn't use one
to heat the place - I wouldn't live in cold climates during the winter.

I wouldn't call North Carolina a "cold climate" but we
certainly have chilly days where sailing is glorious. And if
you're out on a cruise, and the weather turns nippy... what
do you do then?

FWIW I used a camping stove similar to what you're
describing for some years, both camping and on a
camper-cruiser that was a small boat with no cabin.
Different standards... don't know if I'd go back to that!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King