posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default suggestions for a stove?

Scout wrote:
But, I was wondering
what you folks would do for a cooking appliance, given the space and
layout I have.

I'd recommend the alcohol stove, too. One burner is really
all you need.

Jim K. wrote:
Forgot to comment - I have a 3 burner Coleman camping stove - I only
use the 2 outside burners though. It runs on Coleman Fuel which is
pretty much the same thing as Gasoline but cleaner. The gas is liquid
but you fill up the canister attached to the stove and then pump it to
raise the pressure and turn it into a gas - and the pressure can re
released when you are done cooking.

We cruised in company with friends with these. Kind of a
PITA when you all you want is a cup of hot coffee in the
morning, isn't it? And it does nothing to warm up the inside
of the boat.

But as with any gas stove, you want
to only use it indorrs if you have great ventilation otherwise there's
a build up od cabon monoxide.

CO is certainly something to be careful of, but 'great
ventilation' is open to interpretation. How much ventilation
do you need? Without a CO monitor, you have no way of guessing.

I have cruised with people who insisted that they only use
the stove when a freezing wind was blowing thru the cabin...
no thanks. BTW I have known people who had the same idea
about their fireplaces, literally went and opened all their
windows before starting a fire... needless to say their
heating bills went up rather than down...

I bought one of those CO detector cards and taped it to the
inside cabin top for a short cruise. With the c'way slightly
cracked, no problem indicated. Making a pot of coffee or tea
warmed up the cabin nicely. I still would not leave the
stove burning overnight though.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King