posted to rec.boats.building
André Langevin André Langevin is offline

Default Steel hull and aluminum superstructure

Hi Michael,

This is very interesting. In fact i found the specification on the page
which is MIL-J-2445A
http://206.124.2.9/clad/pdf/marine_p...il-j-24445a%22

Now what puzzles me is that they claim that using a bimetallic join reduces
corrosion. I thought theese joint were *not* electrically bounded but they
are indeed.

So you have one big anode sitting on the top of your steel hull now. I
think the guess they are taking is the following:

A) The steel hull is absolutely and completely isolated from the sea water.
Any repair is done diligently
B) The superstructure is high enough not to be covered with water

I'm ok with condition A but condition B is very frequent on a sail boat. We
heel almost all the time and on the ocean the spray is constant.

Not sure anymore if it is a good idea but still searching...

"Michael Porter" wrote in message
"datacouple" is actually "dEtacouple" and is very much still around
and used by everyone in that business. take a look at
http://www.dynamicmaterials.com/

It seems that ownership of the product has bounced around some, but it
is still available. Now, how an individual can buy it -- that's
another story.

Cheers,

Michael

"Roger Long" wrote:

It used to be called "Datacouple". It's seems to have dropped off
Google's radar screen which essentially means non-existant now. The
only references I see are reviews of some old boats that use it.

It must still be around somewhere.