posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson Dennis Pogson is offline

Default Raymarine Autopilot does not handle my a-spinnaker

b393capt wrote:
Yes,

I have the instructions, and have done the seatrial, the deviation
result was 3. I have been happy with the results since. I had settled
on a response level of 5 out of 9 (the gyro changes the range from
1-3, to 1-9), but did not try in the middle of my a-spinnaker troubles
yesterday.

Besed on this feedback, I will read up on Rudder Gain, and be ready to
change that and Response next time this occurs.

Dan

Bill Kearney wrote:
I would experiment with the Rudder Gain and Response settings. You
probably need to increase the Reponse level.

Yes, those would certainly affect it. Do you have the installation
manual for the autopilot? It details how to set these values during
the Sea Trial Calibration. I did just the same thing last week for
our S1 equipped powerboat.

-Bill Kearney

My memory of sailing a yawing boat under spinnaker is that anticipation of
what the boat was going to do next was the main problem, but the old
brainbox used to anticipate after a short period at the helm. With wind and
sea state variations to contend with, it's asking a lot to program these
into a piece of hardware, no matter what you do! Do computers really
anticipate and react to what the future is about to bestow on us?

Dennis.