posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default Force 5 stove report

Thom Stewart wrote:
Joe,

I had a two burner "Origo" and loved it. I've heard some bad reports
about them. I've no proof of them but it did force to take special
cautions.

The biggest precaution is to not try to fill the cannister
when it's hot. They only have about 6 warning labels, with
big red lettering, all over every part of the stove.

The worst I heard ,was a woman went to fill a canister that went dry and
tried to fill it to finish cooking. It flashed she dropped the gallon
container of Alcohol, which flashed and started a fire on the floor and
cut off her ability to get to the extinguisher. Made a mess of the cabin
and burnt she pretty bad.

Like I say, don't know if true but made me get two extra canisters and
always transload alcohol from gallon jug to a pint plastic bottle to
refuel any canister. Always a cold canister.

We stored it in a camper's fuel jug, sturdy with a good
pouring spout. The stuff evaporates out of the burner
cannister, so you can't just fill it up and use it up, you
have to pour a measured amount into the cannister before
every use. Some would call that too much of a PITA, I found
it less so than other systems (and certainly less so that
running out of fuel half way thru making coffee).

I think this is one of the complaints about the expense of
alcohol as a cooking fuel, people don't realize how much
they are allowing to evaporate.

I loved those Alky instant light canisters.

I also had a Origo Cabin heater but discovered it was a LOT cheaper to
run the Diesel Aux. & Red Dot heater.

17 plus years and never a problem.

We never had a problem either.

DSK