posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Four new thru-hulls = one happy man !

Bart wrote:
Jeff what do you think of the 29 HP sail drive units
that Yanmar makes. It that not a sweet setup for
a Catamaran. Or the bigger saildrives for larger
cats?

I have twin 2GM20F's (18 hp) with saildrives. I've been nervous about
corrosion so I change zincs religiously, even hauling in FL to do a
quick change. I also have a galvanic isolator, and keep an eye on the
outlets at the marina, though I'm not really sure what to look for
other than polarity issues. So far, no sign of a problem, but I've
heard of disasters, especially in southern climates with warmer water.
Also, I suspect that long seasons and cheap marinas are a problem.

PDQ no longer makes a boat with saildrives, and they swear, "never
again." I guess it doesn't take too many problems to make them
skittish. I've always wondered if I went the right way with diesels -
it was probably the right thing at the time, but if I had to do it
over, I'd go with twin 9.9 outboards and a serious genset, maybe a
WhisperGen.