posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default finger Joint by Shaper

You can use a miter gage but there is no need to and it actually works
against you because it makes you drag along 10 or 12' of strip that is
hanging off the table. As long as the ends are cut square to start and you
are approximately square to the strips the bit can't do anything but cut
correctly. The uncut ends of the fingers bottom out on the arbor which
controls the depth so as long as the ends were square to start with the
fingers will be square.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Dave W" wrote in message
Glenn,
Thanks for the explanation, I think I have the picture. My strips will
be 3/4 by 1 3/8 inches. Did you guide the pieces through the cutter using
a miter gage or did you use a fence on the table? I imagine that you used
a miter gage and advanced the pieces for sucessive cuts by eyeball. Is
that it? I have built several boats but have never used strip
construction before; nor have I ever used a router table. The finger
joint looks like a good way to make long strips. Thanks again,