posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Four new thru-hulls = one happy man !

The engine is predicted to need 65 HP to make hull speed.
I have 10 extra HP.

Bart, I'm no expert on engines, but that seems underpowered. I thought
hull speed should occur within 60-70% of rated horsepower in calm
conditions. For example....and my math is admittedly fuzzy here....the
35s5 makes hull speed with 16.6 HP on her 28 HP Volvo diesel. With your
vessel's weight and wetted surface ratio, 10 extra HP seems way to low.
A 46 foot J Boat carries a 76 HP engine, but doesn't it weigh a lot
less than your boat? I thought I saw an Ercison 46 for sale some years
back and it had more like 105 HP.

RB
35s5
NY