posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Hi..wave wave

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thom Stewart wrote:
Yeah Joe,

It let's people know, "You're there and OK and they would also like to
know the same of you. No need of assistance."

Thats right Ol Thom, Its a primal fear of the water that drives waving.
You get the points.

I have no fear of water, primal of otherwise. But when meeting someone away
from land, it's simply nice to acknowledge their presence and that we're
both out where no one else happens to be at the moment.

I have noticed several conventions w/r/t waving, at least where I sail:

1) When sailing, I tend to wave at other sailors more than at powerboaters,
and vice versa.
2) When in my Boston Whaler, I tend to wave at everyone, and vice versa.
3) Powerboaters tend to wave less than sailors.
4) Skippers on very large yachts tend not to wave, and ignore others who
wave at them. There are exceptions, of course.
5) Waving at significantly attractive females is preferable to waving at
someone like Bubbles.

Max