Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default Bayliner Tostito Wave for Skipper

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:41:51 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:45:54 -0400, Gene Kearns wrote:

It was the guy in the Speedos and he had mathematical proof......

Yes, he was certain that the US Navy wave height prediction model was
wrong, and the NOAA weather buoys were reporting incorrect data during
one of the major gulf coast hurricanes a few years ago.

The US Navy height prediction model is conservative according to the
folks at La Jolla and Woods Hole.

Just saw a Discovery Channel show on rogue waves and how they are
formed. Turns out that 120 foot high waves are not only possible, but
entirely real.

Every time I look at that video I wonder what king of boat, if any,
could survive an encounter with a wave like that.

I don't even think a freighter could make that one in one piece.

Would probably be damaged, but unless there was a 2nd wave like it at the
other end of the ship, then adios ship. One of the big dangers for tankers
in the Bering sea is the extremely large waves that have a crest to crest
length less than the ship length. The government has used some satellite
monitoring to try to protect the tankers. They do not have enough strength
in the hull to support the ship from the ends.