posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Hey Oz--

DSK wrote:
The only boat that is, is a submarine.

Joe wrote:
Wrong
http://community.webshots.com/album/45412311UPoGTh

opps try this shot~
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/107...38501851yDORqu

You been paying attention at all? Did you read my post about
rescuing guys off an oil platform in the North Sea?

Yeah I read it, and I read you think the only vessels made for extreme
weather are submarines. Oil platforms stand still, they do not give, so
they rip. I was paying attention.

Example: When the Ocean Ranger went down in the Hyberina field a
supply boat was on location and suffered no damage, rescued a few guys,
but lost most to hypothermia. There is an old saying in the N. Sea" The
sea is poision, you drink it your going to die, you fall in it your
going to die, and if you work on it your going to die"

That was
the time waves were ripping 2" welded fittings off the deck.

Hardly a racing vessel

Ya think?

Well I take that back, I've raced a many of em..anytime two boats are
going the same way it's a race....right ;0)

I wonder what the PHRF rating is?

but designed to deal with 60-80 ftes in a
regular basis.
Hence the North Sea Stacks, armored glass, 4" thick bows
ect..ect.ect...

Stronger than a U.S. Navy vessel, probably.

The fleet tugs are just as stout. Same builders.

Many boats ran back for cover and anchored.... not generally
considered a gung-ho racing tactic

Sounds like the smart ones. Nothing at all to be ashamed off. They did
not put the guys that have to go out and rescue people at risk.

A lot of boats were too far out into the Bass Strait to come
back and anchor. Probably would have if they could have.

In the condition described I would be bare pole and on a drouge on
RedCloud.

You must not be paying attention, or else your Boosprit
gland is being hyperactive.

These guys weren't dumb. These guys weren't ill-equipped. If
they would have been better off under drogue, they would
have been.

Get it thru your head Joe... the sea is powerful enough to
destroy any vessel. Storms have sunk U.S. Navy warships...
not often, thank goodness. But to think that you're
bulletproof and everybody else is a pussy is very stupid.

I never said anything like that...is your bubbles gland impacted?

Did everyone ignore the weather forecast? You would think these boats
had the best in weather tracking devices the world has to offer.

Yeah, like the weather forecast is always 100% accurate.

Doug...it's a game they were playing, some lost. But when people kick
off with sprung planks, fragile bulb keelers, ect for the open ocean in
an area famous for bad weather bad knowing it's going to be 50kt's and
building stuff is going to happen. Even here during the Harvest moon
that we race, it amazes me some of the crap people take offshore, and
some of the idiots that it's plain and clear that the only time they
sail is racing, it's more about gagets, matching suits, and big bucks.
Last Harvest moon a fellow de-masted trying to get out the jetties fer
crikes sake, another about 40 miles south, one ran up on the
beachrunning a rumb line. And like the Hobart the harvest is known for
it's foul weather, mid Oct here is when the really strong northerners
start training thru.

You say these guys are good sailors, and your right for the
billionaires they can buy guys who sail for a living, but the average
millionaires are using friends ect and I'm sure most have less time at
sea..... than the time needed to get a 6 pack ticket.

Joe

DSK