posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default RB and Sailing

"Charlie Morgan" wrote
Just hang up a heavy bag (no, I don't mean Scotty's wife) and use it a few
times a week.

What a nice thing to say. I bet your parents would be proud
of you if they saw this post.

Gilligan wrote:
And see what it does to your wrists after a few years.

Try this instead:

http://ctr.usf.edu/shotokan/makiwara.html

Been there, done that, and it is good exercise. Not to diss
a traditional shotokan practice, but IMHO a light bag on a
long lead is better, once you have practiced form. It's more
exercise and develops footwork & balance. Better yet is to
put the bag on a pulley and have a trainer raise/lower the
bag while you work on it.

I recomment wearing at least slightly padded gloves, unless
you want to have really bad arthritis when you get to be
over 35.

DSK