posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
John Fereira John Fereira is offline

Default Avocet-Montauk

Dan Koretz wrote in
:

I paddle an Assateague, which is the biggest boat in the same series as
the Montauk. I enjoy it more than any other boat I have used (which is
not a huge number). It is fast, tracks well, and seems to have very
good secondary stability. (I have not had it in really big water, but
I have had it in substantial chop.) I find it very comfortable. But
it has less primary stability (by design, I think) than many other
boats. The only person I have ever lent it to was my son, a much
better paddler than I, and he really liked it as well.

But all of this is just a recommendation to test it out for yourself.
There is no arguing over tastes, and what one person really likes, you
may not.

I have not paddled an Avocet.

I *have* paddled an Avocet (spent four days in one during a symposium a few
years ago) and have also paddel the Assateague and Currituck but not the
Montauk. I, frankly, didn't find the initial stability to be low at all and
it has good secondary. I wouldn't compare the Montauk to the Assateague as
the latter is over a foot longer and much greater in volume.

If it were me, I'd keep the Avocet and spend the money that would go to a
new Montauk on some instruction. Improving ones bracing skills would give
you more confidence and comfort with the stability of the Avocet.

JSB wrote the following on 9/28/2006 8:40 AM:
I am new to kayaking. On my son's advise I bought a used Valley
Avocet. I like the the boat's performance, but since I kayak alone
often with few other boats of any kind on the lake, a bit more
stability would be comforting. Also, since I load and unload it
alone, a lighter boat would be appreciated.

I am looking at a carbon-kevlar Impex Montauk. Lighter in weight. That
is nice. Reportedly a bit more secondary stability. Haven't had a
chance to demo one yet.

Opinions on the Montauk. Opinions on the Avocet vs the Montauk. Would
this trade make any sense?