posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Sad Sailors of ASA

No response Rob?

I was out sailing, Bart.
What would you like to know about the Hunter 43? I've only sailed it
twice for short periods, but I have some idea of her behavior. I
certainly don't agree with JG or his buddies that it's hard to sail. In
fact, trim was quite forgiving. She's heavy and tracks okay, but not
easy to tack without some good breeze. Her helm is short (Very) on
feedback and her arch/bimini combo make it hard to watch the sail trim.
She feels heavy and slow compared to a Catalina 400 for example, but
allowances should be made for the gear level and added weight here.
Surprisingly, room behind the helm is poor. This model has everything
from Wind Generator, genset to a pricey custom davits system. She even
has power winches to send her main up in a jiffy.
I'll probably taking the owner out again in a few days and I can give
you more info if you're interested. Plus I'll take some better pics.
She's not a boat I'd buy, but then I'm not 66 years old either. This
boat makes sense for some folks and for 140K she's a floating home with
a lot of comfort. Sitting right next to her slip is a new Hunter 38 run
by Sailtime. Looking at that boat I can honestly say Hunter has come a
long way since the 90's.

RB
35s5
NY