Bob Bob is offline

Default wind generaator survey

just me wrote:
I'm going to buy a wind generator at the Annapolis boat show. Leaning hard
towards an Air-X

Any thoughts? pros/cons? Who's using what?

--As is with all gear selections, I considered my amp use, cruising area, boat size, equipment loads, and general cruising philosophy.

Personally, I have seen too many decks swept clean of even the most
securely fastened items and prefer to keep anything above the sheer
line as sparse as possible. The first thing to go when I got my boat
was that irritating dinner table in the cockpit. It kept breaking loose
and flapped around in seas over 15 feet. Next was that "gantry"
looking thing where the radar dome was attached aft of the cockpit.
That damn thing started to vibrate and wobble with winds over 30 knots.
Very annoying. Start adding up all that flopping, vibrating, movements,
and drag you got a receipt for problems or at least distractions on
deck when a person needs zero distractions for a fast decision that may
have serious consequences.

I looked for additional offshore amps and simply cringed at sticking
one of those wind mills on top of an 8' post. Did you ever see a
movie called Final Destination 2? If not watch it!

But for thoes who cruise a diffrent life a wind mill might be just
right.

Bob