posted to rec.boats.building
Bob Bob is offline

Default Waterproofing Aluminum Riveted Boats

wrote:
I recently inherited a 14 foot aluminum riveted boat from a family
friend.
Gary

Hi Gary;

In the 70s I got a free 18' Al Grumman canoe. It was thrashed thoughly
by a bunch of beer drinking cowboys from Bend, OR. A couple drift
boat guys suggested an epoxy product called Gluv-it. Its fairly
standard stuff in the PNW. The drift boat guys added since most the
ribs were broken, seems moved around, and most the rivets were loose
they suggested calking the obvious holes inside the canoe with sealant.

I got an additional 10 years of hard use out of the Grumman and then
passed it on to a geology guy in Elko NV.

Gluvit the outside.
Sealant for the rivets and seems on the inside.
I imagine if your boat moves really bad the epoxy will fail.
But......... hey it was a free boat. Be happy you have the opportunity
to have wet feet and enjoy.

Bob