posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Sea Trial

I'm not familiar with the HP 42. I had a H42 out the Gate a month or so ago.
Fortunately, it was a very mild day, but she still heeled over like we were
beating through 20 kts on other boats. I found her to be very sensitive to
wind gusts, given the size of the boat. The interior looked great, except
when you took a closer look and found cracks in the bulkhead due to flexing,
apparently. This was a much newer boat than late 90s. Not certain, but I
believe it was a 2001 or 2002.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:55:21 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

I've been on several large Hunters in the SF bay with wind speeds over 20
kts. They round up like crazy and don't hold a course well. They were
impossible to trim well.

I chartered a Hunter passage 42 probably a late 90's model. Took it
outside the Sea of Abaco to the open atlantic one day when the wind
was up pretty good. Handled like a dream. Very good balance. I was
impressed I expected much less.

Handled, in my opinion, much better than the later Beneteaus I've
raced on for the last two seasons. A 311 and a 343. I'll admit to not
being on either of them long enough to learn to properly trim to the
weather and they were new to the owner also, but they seemed much less
forgiving.

Every single instructor who teaches on them has
only negative things to say. Also, the heel in the picture isn't that
much.
Must not have been a good breeze... no white caps, no spray.

From the picture, I would say "sea" trial was a misnomer. More like a
LIS trial.

Frank

Interestingly, Rob contributed not one item when there was a flurry of ASA
questions. I guess he knows a lot about boats and sailing.