posted to alt.sailing.asa
Peter Peter is offline

Default DC WhisperGen

For $12K I could buy enough solar panels to outproduce that thing and
pay $0.00 running costs for fuel.

Some of my guys built a small genset a couple years ago to deploy on
Heard Is. It used a tiny Honda weed-wacker type powerhead driving a PM
generator. Cost even with Govt R&D accounting a fraction of this
thing.

Reminds me of a salesman who tried to sell me a 600W 12V microwave for
some ungodly price. I did a quick mental calculation & pointed out I
could buy a $100 microwave and a 1Kv inverter to run it for less than
half his price, so who but an idiot would buy one?

This thing falls into the same category.

PDW

Bart wrote:
Look at it from the prespective of A-H produced
per gal of fuel. Then balance that against the
benefit of quiet power and it's versatility as a
heat source for hot water. I think it is a winner.

BTW. There are no libricants and only easy to
replace seals.

The big question is the lifespan of the unit. If it
last far longer than a genset per A-H produced
then I'm sure it will have a broader appeal.

Longevity is the question I'd want to ask, and I
have not gotten a straight answer to that one.

Peter wrote:

More like *at least* $11K too much. Who in their right mind would pay
that much for that little?