posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ellen MacArthur Ellen MacArthur is offline

Default Where does it end?

"katy" wrote
| Ya know, Chanteuse hasn't got any of the stuff mentioned on board...but
| I am not going to sit and criticize someone else because they either
| want, need, or just have that equipment. The important thing is that
| they have a sailboat and that they sail.

When they get to that stage they mostly motor around. If you sail you've seen it happen.
They hardly sail at all. They need the motor going all the time to keep all the electrical stuff
running. Your other point about their want's or needs, I agree a little. It's all OK if they want
to live in a house chock full of as much stuff as they can cram in. But when their stuff spills
out into the yard and into their neighbors yard and house then they've gone too far. That's
the point about sailboats I was making. Their stuff like noise, exhaust fumes and stealing
your space has no business depriving you of your peace and quiet and fresh air and privacy.

| There is only one person on
| this group who has an ulterior motive for talking about possessions, but
| we all know his game.

That would be Capt. Rob. :-) Exactly like I'm talking about. But in his case his stuff spills
out of the house. It runs down the wires to the internet. It dumps out here in the news group.
And here it pollutes the peace and quiet and privacy of many who can't stand it. But here you
can delete him. That's the remedy. You can't delete a noisy smelly space hogging house posing
as a sailboat. You just have to put up with it or move. Why should you have to move?

| Carping about what someone else has just shows
| what a mean spirit you have. This is not a group of purists. If you
| want purism, go find a group that caters to anachronistic sailing...If
| camping out in your boat is what you like, then camp. But don't sit and
| judge those that don't suit your style.

I don't have a mean bone in my body, Katy. I don't carp. I tell it like it is.... I don't judge
people who don't interfere with my rights. If somebody wants to be gay what they do in the
privacy of their house doesn't bother me one teeny bit. But when they come over and do it
on the deck of my boat they've gone to far. It's no different with smelly exhaust, noisy
generators, loud music, shouting and public drunkenness. It's coming over on the deck of my
boat. It's coming *inside* my boat. Are you saying your rights aren't important? Well, I'm
saying mine are important. People need to stop being so selfish. That guy asking about wind
generators is selfish. You can tell just by reading his posts and his reaction when he didn't
get what *he* wanted.
The only thing you have to think about is doing unto others as you would have them do to you.
Certainly you wouldn't anchor in front of somebody and choke them with diesel exhaust all night
long. And only so you could be a little more comfortable. That makes it OK to make them miserable?
That's selfish but that's how most people operate these days. It's shameful! It's un-Christian.

Cheers,
Ellen