posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty Scotty is offline

Default DC WhisperGen

Oh, maybe I should have looked at the link first. Where was
the link?

Scotty

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
These are a different beast - because they are "external

combustion"
(like a house furnace) they are very efficient and can be

set to run
unattended, so they claim. Also, they are extremely

quiet. I stood
next to one at the show and could barely hear it running.

Also, I
could hold the exhaust flew in my hand (briefly). I can

see an
situation where it would fit in nicely. However, for my

purposes, I
can see better uses for $12K.

Scotty wrote:
$12 k !!!! Holy ****! You could buy a dozen Honda

gens
for that.

SBV

"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...
I have a chance to see a DC WhisperGen at the
Norwalk Boat Show today. I was very impressed.

The price was $12k. It provided 800 watts of power,
70 amps at 12 Volts for 1/5 gal per hour or about
.75 ltrs/hr.

It provided heat for hot water and was efficent enough
such that the exhaust was comfortable to touch.

Most impressive was the quiet sound it made--quieter
than a small window AC unit. With the sound cover
on it was difficult to hear.

Until noisy diesel gensets that are so annoying, this
unit can be set up to start when needed and was
quiet enough not to be a nuisance when running.

If agumented with solar cells, or even a wind

generator,
I think the daily fuel consumption would be quite low.

So anyone considering a new genset, and/or heater, and
possibly AC for their boat, this with a good battery

bank
would make a nice system.