posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default DC WhisperGen

Bart wrote:
A 5 cup DC 12 V coffee maker requires 240 watts of power.
This could easily run that.

I was talking about a coffee make that can make coffee.

The concept behind it is you run it longer than a Genset
and it is quite enough that it is not annoying.

Yes, I admit it has its virtues. But still, $12K buys a lot of solar
panels, and even a quiet wind generator or two.

Look at it like its a battery charger and a heater.
From the perspective it works better than a genset.

And you don't need as big a battery bank.

I didn't notice any mention of how well it worked under way in rough
going. I probably wouldn't want to downsize the bank. BTW, did you
notice the its heavy? I think it was 200 lbs.

Jeff wrote:
Yes, I checked it out at Newport last week. Very slick. But the Bang for
the Buck is a bit lacking - its $12K and doesn't put out enough to run a
coffeemaker. On the other hand, its a neat trickle charger, and would be a
good match for a lightweight boat that uses outboards instead of diesels
(like a catamaran).