Lloyd Sumpter

Default newbie question: trolling without a kicker

On Fri, 07 May 2004 05:20:11 +0000, Troy Makaro wrote:

Hi, I just bought my first boat and I can't afford a kicker right now. Is it
possible/worthwhile to troll without a kicker? Troy

Hey, fellow West Coast Canuck!

First, don't run the outdrive "up" - it's REAL hard on that expensive outdrive.

For Coho, etc. running the "big" engine might be OK. For Chinook, you want just
under 2 knots. An electric trolling motor will set you back under $200 CDN -
consider that. Also, I was trolling for Springs off Bowen Island last weekend
just with the wind (barepoles, but I have a sailboat...)

Another idea: not sure about the WCVI, but in the Strait there's lots of places
where you can anchor and the tide runs fast enough to "troll".

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36