posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Ewan Scott Ewan Scott is offline

Default Mountain bike stowage

On 25 Sep 2006 04:02:30 -0700, "terradactyl"
wrote:

oYou are gonna laugh at this. Has any one tried sea kayaking whilst
carrying (I mean stowed on deck) a mountain bike?

Sounds like fun...

The plan so far is for 3 of us (hopefilly one experienced kayaker) and
me and my mate to do various short crossings to hebridean islands
basing our forays from Mull or skye carrying mountain bilkes.(only 2
bikes) maybe lash the 2 wheels on the foredeck and frames behind us?

Sounds crazy...

We are very experienced MTBers but have limited kayak (hence 3rd
member, any volunteers?)

How limited is your experience?

We won't be silly and I have started to read all things kayak befor we
start to train.

Yeah, cos reading about it will really give you the experience to roll
back up, or do a deep sea rescue when your boat flips - remember you
will have raised the CoG with your bikes lashed to the decks - which
will also make your deep water rescue a tad more difficult.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. But if you are inexperienced I'm guessing
that some of the currents you will encounter will scare the crap out
of you if you are inexperieced. It's a long way to Newfoundland....

Seriously, if you are going to give this a try please go out and get
some experience before you go. You don't need start tests - but they
do help measure your skill, but be able to brace, turn, and maybe even
roll. Certainly be able to do a deep water rescue.

I have been given a new sea kayak by a friend and it is 16M long ! I
may have to sell this for something shorter.

16 metres? Thats about 50 feet, You'll needs a t least a ship's
mate's certificate to go to sea in that. Surely a type. 6 metres
maybe?

Maybe I'm just getting too old, or maybe I can see the flaw in your
plan :-)

Best of luck whatever you do.

Ewan Scott