posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Michael Daly Michael Daly is offline

Default Endurance training

Brian Nystrom wrote:

Sure, but what do you use for molds? You need to make both an outer
sleeve for both sides of the paddle and an inner connecting tube that
fits into one side of it to form the "male" portion of the ferrule.

I was thinking that you could simply wrap the sleeve over the loom (pre-cut and
covered with a mold release). Once cured, glue one half of the paddle into the
resulting tube. Alternatively, just put release film/PVA on only one side and
have the ferrule cure directly on the other half. If you don't want to have a
ridge at the end of the ferrule, you could carve the loom down by the thickness
of the ferrule.

If the loom's not round, there's no problem with the removable end rotating,
just sliding out. A slit cut into the female end of the ferrule will allow a
clamp to close it tight.

Not much of a clamping device would be needed as long as there's enough friction
inside the tube. I once went paddling with a Euro where the tightening widget
had fallen off at home and I hadn't noticed till I got to the water. I wrapped
the shaft with a bit of bungie and it was fine.

Mike