Camilo

Default newbie question: trolling without a kicker

"Greg" wrote in message
Hi, I just bought my first boat and I can't afford a kicker right now. Is

it
possible/worthwhile to troll without a kicker?
Troy

What kind of engine do you have? If it is a 2 stroke the answer is

probably no.
A 4 stroke will chug around at 1200-1500 RPM all day, no smoke, no fouled
plugs.

I've trolled all day with 175 hp V6 2 stroke - noisy, smelly and burns a lot
of gas compared to the kicker, but it worked. Not to dispute that 4 strokes
and/or kickers are better, but it can be done. As a kid, we did all our
trolling with a merc 65 hp 2 stroke. I picked up a verrrrry old merc 9.8
kicker for very cheap and it works great. Just something to keep in mind -
the kicker might not cost as much as you think.

Cam

.