posted to rec.boats.building
Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Plan copyright infringment

There are always gray areas where theory and practice diverge. In
theory, if you just look at a plan with a proprietary notice in the
title block, you should pay something for the use of anything in it is
incorporated in a boat. In practice, if you are just getting ideas
from the plans and then build a boat that is different from any of
them, nobody is going to ask you for money or be upset with you. Much
of what is on any set of plans came to the architect from other people
and other plans anyway.

However, if you clearly used the information in one or more of the
plans that is specific to what makes that boat unique and individual,
and it was clearly essential to your boat turning out the way that it
did, you should pay for the plans.

--

Roger Long

"BellSouth" wrote in message
.. .
Roger, just asking a question here, but if I look at a set of plans
a buddy built from, then look at 3 or 4 other sets of plans, then
using ideas from ALL sources I've looked at, who do I pay for the
use of plans?

There is no one single person whose plans I used completely, but
took parts of perhaps 4 different sets of plans - am I required to
pay everyone?

Please understand Roger, I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just
asking for info.

Thanks,

Ken H

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Alex"

Roger -- I am curious. Other than contract language in a sales
agreement,

That's what I said, "other than contract language in a sales
agreement". This is virtually unheard of and I can think of a case.
For a very special boat that the architect wanted to be sure
exactly reflected his intent, a plans buyer could be asked to sign
a separate document binding him to make no unapproved changes.
Without that, the builder can do anything he wants.

I have heard of cases where the designer insisted that his name be
removed from the design for purposed of sales because it was so

If you get a set of plans from your buddy who built a boat, just
changing a few, or even a lot of, things does not relieve you of
the obligation to pay the designer for their use.

--

Roger Long