posted to rec.boats.building
Pete C Pete C is offline

Default anyone used PEX tubing for boat plumbing?

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:05:36 -0700, Evan Gatehouse2
wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I didn't use it but now I wish I had. A little more trouble to route but a
heck of a lot cheaper than double stainless clamps on everything and a heck
of a lot neater installation. PEX, Qest and SeaTech fresh water systems
are becoming standard on many high quality production boats.

But if you're on some small Caribbean island, you'll have better luck
finding a few hose clamps, some PVC fittings, and flexible hose at the
hardware store if you want to change or fix something. If you're not
straying far from home, it's a good idea.

As long as a few spare pipe liners are carried, it should be possible
to attach PVC hose with hose clamps. I'd have thought they won't
crush, after all plastic hose barbs don't.

With PEX and push fit, one thing to remember is to give the pipe a
good hard tug once in the fitting, so the grab ring beds well in.
Sometimes this doesn't automatically happen when the system is
pressurised, and if the pipe slips suddenly at any time it may pop out
of the fitting.

I wonder if compression fittings are better if used with care, using
copper olives and not over tightening. Maybe a bit easier to maintain
in confined spaces.

cheers,
Pete.